June 5, 1996, 20 people in attendance.
Those in attendance introduced themselves.
Co-chairs Sally Harvey and Bill Karnoscak acknowledged officers and other SIG members who made significant contributions throughout the year:
Richard Klein, who works for a gay-owned travel agency in Chicago, has volunteered to work on lodging arrangements for the 1997 meeting [23-28 May 1997] in Seattle.
Brian Smith, who organized lodging for the 1996 meeting, expressed a concern with SIG members signing contracts with hotels for rooms (necessary to secure a group rate). Having a travel agency plan for the 1997 meeting will temporarily solve this problem ; it was suggested this be kept in mind. If someone is to sign such a document, it should be a co-chair.
Bill Karnoscak delivered the treasurer's report for Peter Jones. The current balance <16 May 1996> is $218.00. Bill Fleming reported $200 in donations collected at the SIG-sponsored dinner held earlier in the week. A letter from MLA headquarters was dis tributed outlining the Association's position on SIGs and fundraising. There was some discussion on how we should proceed given our current $418.00 balance. See later in this report.
Tom Flemming, Newsletter Editor, reported there were a total of 3 newsletters produced for the SIG.
Denis Gaffney, Program Chair, reported that the program "Out at Work" was successful with over 70 attending. He thanked Jean Sullivant for her help. Denis suggested the group plan early for the next programl. The program proposal is due 17 June 1996, a nd the abstract in January. Jean reported the MLA representatives were extremely attentive at the program and suggested the SIG send a letter of thanks. Jean will draft the letter which will be signed by Sally and Bill.
Sally and Bill encouraged the membership to participate in the leadership activities. They solicited volunteers to write brief descriptions and guidelines of leadership roles. Bill Fleming and Karen Zundel volunteered.
Discussion resumed regarding the letter received by the MLA Board. The first issue discussed was the Site Selection Policy. There was much discussion on how to encourage Chapters to adhere to MLA's policy. It was stated that Chapters are not bound to f ollow the Associations policy. Sally suggested a letter be drafted to Chapters asking that they follow the policy. This letter would be sent periodically to Chapter leaders, as the leadership personnel changes. This suggestion will be sent out to all S IG members via the listserv for comment.
There were many points made and tentatively agreed upon regarding the SIG's money issues.
With these suggestions, it was decided to offically disband the treasury and office of treasurer. Fritz Whitcomb would be contacted to edit the SIG's home page to appropriately reflect this. Since the amount of money currently held by the group is currently at $418, any other concerns would not need to be addressed immediately. Discussion will continue on this topic, and a final decision would be made at the next business meeting, Seattle.
The Mental Health Section enthusiastically agreed to co-sponsor the 1997 meeting program.
Rob Mackes will be Program Chair for the 1997 meeting. Jean Sullivant agreed to assist when needed.
Brian Smith will be Program Chair for the 1998 meeting Anne Seymour, Jane Grossman, Steve Grove and Karen Zundel volunteered to help.
Sally Harvey and Bill Karnoscak will retain the roles of co-chairs for the next year. It was suggested the terms not coincide so there will always be someone with experience in one of the offices.
Bill Fleming will be Newsletter Editor for a term of two years.
Bill Fleming suggested the Lodging/Social Activities Chair be a SIG office. The suggestion will be discussed by the task force writing descriptions/guidelines for SIG leadership roles.
This page was last updated on September 15, 2004. Credits